Here are some of the nonfiction essays and articles I’ve published.
NONFICTION ESSAYS IN ANTHOLOGIES
- “The Lion, The Pig, The Wolf and Other Thoughts About New York” in Goodbye To All That: Writers on Loving and Leaving New York, October, 2013
- “Accidents,” in Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood and Abortion, Macadam Cage, 2007
- “The Light, The Sword, the Nintendo DS,” (co-written with my husband and accomplice in parenting, Robert Anthony Siegel) in How to Spell Chanukah, Algonquin, 2007.
- “Normal People” in With Love and Squalor, Broadway Books, 2001
- “What My Family Learned from a Year of Living With Creepy Houseguests” in Real Simple, July 2015
- “Fighting for Democracy: The Story of the Taiwanese Sunflower Movement” in Theriveter.com, January 23, 2015
- “Taiwan’s Incredible Edible Revolution,” in narrative.ly.com, September, 2014
- “Dogs: The Best Kid You Could Ask For”, TheAtlantic.com, August 22, 2014
- “Girls Who Wear Glasses,” Hallmark magazine, Summer, 2008
- “The Letter E,” Los Angeles Times
- “Atomic Chicken,” Real Simple, Fall, 2006.
- “Oy to the World: Making the holidays happy when yours is the only Jewish kid in school,” Wondertime, January, 2007
- “The Importance of Saying No,” Child, January, 2005
- “Why I Want to be Elaine,” The Forward, March 4, 1994
- “How to Buy A Mattress,” Bridal Guide, April, 1993
- “Classes to Change Your Life,” Taxi, September 1989
- “New Age Junk Food,” Taxi, October 1989
- “Motorcycles: Women Take to the Open Road,” Taxi, August, 1989
- “Barbie Turns 30,” Taxi, March, 1989
- “Isaac Mizrahi: Divinely Inspired,” Taxi, February 1989
- “The Name of the Rose,” Taxi, February, 1989
- “Caviar Bars, Taxi, January, 1989
You can buy How to Spell Chanukah here.
You can buy With Love and Squalor: 14 Writers Respond to the Work of J.D. Salinger here.
Here’s a video of my talk at Google about Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood and Abortion.